The Military Diet is a three day weight loss program where you’re required to eat only the selected food items.
However, in order to achieve long lasting weight loss results, it is advised to follow a low calorie diet for the remaining 4 days of the week. That completes a 1 week session successfully.
During these four days off period, you’re advised to follow the 1500 calorie diet to keep those lost pounds from getting back. An average man/woman burns more than 1500 calories per day. To be specific, an average male burns about 2100 calories per day, while the female burns around 1800 calories. So, when you’re following the 1500 calorie meal plan, your body is likely to burn the extra fat stored in your body to compensate the missing calories, thereby helping you lose weight naturally.
If you want to know how many calories your body burns by default, then simply multiply your current weight (lbs) x 12.
All being said, here is a sample menu plan for the 4 days after the military diet. The menu is divided into 5 small meals per day – Breakfast, Morning Snack, Lunch, Evening Snack and Dinner.
Also find the 1200 calorie meal plan menu.
Sample 1500 Calorie Diet Plan (4 Day OFF Menu for Military Diet Followers)
#Snacks (10 to 11 AM & 4 to 5 PM)
Since we’re having 5 small meals a day, it is advised to allocate 2 snack windows, one in the morning and another in the evening. During these hours, you should munch only on healthy snacks, which are discussed below.
P.S: Select any two of the below snacks per day (1 in the morning after breakfast, another in the evening before dinner). No more than that.
- Fruit and Nut bar
- 1 Whole Apple and 20 Pistachios
- A cup of Cantaloupe with 1/2 cottage cheese
- 1 large Banana with a tbsp. of peanut butter
- A cup of plain yogurt topped with a cup of mixed berries
- Air popped popcorn (just 3 cups; don’t add anything else) or a 100 calorie mini bag popcorn
- 4 whole-grain crackers along with an ounce of string cheese
- 10 to 12 tortilla chips along with 1/4 cup of guacamole
- 2 to 3 crispy rye crackers along with 2 tbsp. of cream cheese
- A cup of snap peas along with 1/4 cup of hummus
- 12 Oz latte and a mandarin orange
#Breakfast (7.30 AM to 8.30 AM)
It is always advised not to skip your breakfast. According to the studies, people who ate a healthy breakfast daily lost more weight than their counterparts who skipped it.
Note: Choose only/any 1 of the following food items per day. Anything more than that will make you gain weight.
- Egg Toast: Scramble an egg (whole) in a tsp of butter on a slice of brown bread. Along with it, add few slices of tomato and 1/4 avocado (sliced). This makes a healthy breakfast.
- Yogurt Parfait: You can have a cup of plain Yogurt and sprinkle a cup of mixed berries, 1 tbsp of sliced almonds and 1/4 cup of mixed berries.
- Oatmeal: In a bowl, add 2/3 cup of milk, 1/3 cup oats and 1/2 cup chopped apple. Boil the mixture until the oats completely cooked. Before switching it off, add 2 tbsp of chopped walnuts and cinnamon, boiled for another minute and serve hot.
- Banana Smoothie: In a blender, add 1 large banana, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp flax seeds, 1 tbsp of oatmeal and 1 cup of plain soy milk. This is one of my favorite choices.
- Egg Omlette: Take 2 eggs and make an omelette with cheddar cheese. It is both tasty and highly nutritious.
- Egg and Muffin: Take 1 cup spinach and 2 whole eggs. Scramble the eggs along with spinach and add it on top of a whole wheat toasted muffin.
- Milk and Cheerios: In a cup of milk, add 1 banana (sliced) and 1 cup cheerios. This makes an easy and nutritious breakfast. Along with this, you can also have an Orange.
#Lunch (12.30 PM to 1.30 PM)
This is the time when you should have a moderate to heavy meal, depending on your daily lifestyle. Choose any one of the following recipes for lunch.
- Salad: Take a cup of raw vegetables, 2 cups of lettuce, 1 hard-boiled egg (whole), 2 tsp almonds (~10) and 2 tbsp of raisins. Dress this salad with 2 tsp of balsamic. This high protein salad will keep you full for longer hours, so that you won’t be munching on the unhealthy snack items.
- Chicken Salad Pita: First of all, you’ll need to make a mix with the following ingredients – 1 cup chicken (diced & cooked), 1/4 cup scallions (chopped), 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 stalk of chopped celery and a cup of salad greens. Once you prepare this mix, stuff it in inside a whole wheat pita and have it during the lunch hours.
- Tuna Pita: Like the chicken salad pita, you’ll need to prepare a mix here too. In a bowl, mix 1/2 can of Tuna, 1/4 cup of white beans, 1 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp lemon juice. Stuff this mix inside a 4 inch whole wheat pita. Along with this, you can also eat a cup of grapes.
- Turkey Sandwich: In the middle of 2 slices of brown bread, add 5 slices of turkey, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, 1 pear (sliced) and a slice of Swiss. This makes a delicious sandwich.
- Mediterranean Pita: Take a piece of brown bread pita and stuff it with 1 cup of tomatoes, 1 ounce feta cheese, 1/4 cup hummus, 6 olives, 1 cup raw spinach and sprinkle a tsp of olive oil and 1 tsp of lemon juice.
- Black-Bean & Tortillas: Wrap 2 whole wheat tortillas with the following ingredients – 1/4 avocado, 3/4 cup of black beans, 1 cup of romaine lettuce and 2 tbsp of salsa.
#Dinner (6.30 PM to 7.30PM)
It is always advised to have your dinner at least 3 to 4 hours before going to sleep. If you do so, your body will burn most of those calories while you’re awake and the rest will be utilized during the sleep hours. So, when you woke up the next day, you don’t have to worry about the calories from the previous day and can start fresh.
Consider any one of the following meals for dinner per day.
- Shrimp and Zucchini Pasta: In a pan, add 1 tbsp olive oil and cook 2 ounces of shrimp with the following ingredients – 1 cup chopped zucchini, 1 garlic clove and 2 tbsp of fresh basil (chopped). Once done, serve this mix along with 1 cup of whole wheat pasta noodles.
- Black Bean and Zucchini Quesadilla: In a bowl, sauté a cup of zucchini (chopped), 1/2 cup black beans, 1 tsp of cumin and 2 tsp of olive oil. Mix it well and place the whole mixture on 2 tortillas (made of whole wheat). Then, sprinkle with 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Fold the tortillas in half and cook them in a pan until the cheese gets melted. Once done, top these tortillas with 2 tsp of salsa and serve hot.
- Shrimp Fried Brown Rice: First, cook 3 ounces of shrimp and put it aside for later use. Saute a cup of brown rice, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp sesame oil, 1 garlic clove and 1 tbsp grated ginger. Next, add the shrimp (which we cooked earlier) and 2 cups of bok choy. Saute this mix for another few minutes and serve hot.
- Cajun Chicken with Rice: Take a tsp of dried Cajun and sprinkle it on 4 ounces of chicken breast and bake/grill it. You can serve this with brown rice (use the above recipe; exclude shrimp).
- Stuffed Chili and Cheese Potato: Take a whole potato, bake it and top it with 1/2 cup of vegetarian chili or turkey, 1 cup broccoli (cooked) and 1/4 cup shredded cheddar. This makes a delicious and nutritious recipe.
- Tortilla and Cheese Chili: Take One and a half cups of warn vegetarian chili and top it with 8 to 10 broken tortilla chips, 2 tbsp of scallions (chopped) and 2 tbsp shredded cheddar. Along with this, also have 2 cups of mixed greens salad.
- Sushi: Drink a cup of miso soup. Along with it, eat 1 tuna roll and a small seaweed salad.
- Hot Peanut Chicken Wraps: Take 2/3 cup of sliced chicken and saute it with 1/4 cup scallions, tbsp hot sauce, 2 tbsp peanuts, 1 cup of shredded broccoli, cabbage, carrot and cauliflower mix. Wrap all this mixture in 2 tortillas made of whole wheat.
This 1500 calorie menu plan should be followed during the OFF days (remaining 4 days after the 3 day Military diet) for best weight loss results.